Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bollywood in Germany

Now its been 10 years I am living in germany, but i remember those days in 2001, 2002...that time i was new in germany, not knowing language so not much social life . That time watching Hindi films was the only good entertainment. I remember i used to go to Indian shop in stuttgart which was 90 k.m. away from my place once in a month and used to buy few bollywood films DVDs :) I have now such a big collection of movies... But now i can just rent it for 1 euro...saving lot of place at my home .
Then sometime in 2004 somebody told me that there is "kabhi kushi kabhi gum" movie on german TV channel.... I was so excited to hear that. That time i did not have TV at home ...so i asked my would be husband if i can watch this movie at his home. he had to work late in the co. so i watched that movie with my mother in law..... in my excitment i forgot that even if its bollywood movie , it will be translated in german. I realized it when i started watching it ....and was a bit disappointed. But atleast songs were in Hindi :) My mother-in-law was surprised to see the movie and aksed me are all the indian boys like this?...I said no...no...that just a movie...not reality.

Since then I watched many bollywood movies on german TV channel. It helped me to increase my german knowledge definately. They show here mainly sharukh khan's movies. He is a very famous bollywood actor in germany. Specially women, girls are crazy about him. Bollywood is a good topic to start conversation here :)

I know one german woman from my Bharatnatyam dance class.....she is realy big fan of him. She keeps on talking about shahrukh khan and in general bollywood movies always. Sometimes she tells me ...hey there is this and that movie at 2 O' clock in the night on some channel... And i just say...hmmm ok. Her wish is to go to Mumbai and see sharukh's house and get his autograph. Once she told me , she watched some documentry /interview of sharukh khan on CNN two times...well 2 times the same even though she don't understand a single word of english. :)...she watched that just to see him. she is a real FAN i must say.

Recently I joined Bollywwod Dance Course. I got surprised to see 12 german girls attending the course. They all r just crazy about bollywood movies, music and ofcourse Sharukh khan.. :) Its funny to explain them the meaning of movie songs in german as my teacher also don't understand the language...i am the only one who can tell the real meaning :)
Slowly bollywood is spreading everywhere in the world. it has become an interesting subject evrywhere. In germany too mostly women are facinated by bollywood love stories, music and clothes...it feels amezing to see this. two years ago in frankfurt book festival, there was a special book "The bollywood Coock book"
I know bollywood makes complete useless, sensless, logicless movies many times but music is amezing and what more dance lovers like me should expect ? :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice to know German the point of view to Bollywood. :) Two interesting things here ..
    1. Hindi movie dubbed in German on a German channel! We have always heard the other way round.
    2. Bollywood dance classed there!!!! Wowwwwww ...

    Nice article .. keep posting.

    ReplyDelete