Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spargel (asparagus)

Last week I saw Spargel field and farmers working there. And suddenly smell that spargel season is coming near. Spargel with Hollandaise sauce.....wow yummy.
Asparagus or Spargel as called in german is one of my favorite vegetables. Ofcourse I was not knowing about this vegetable before....I ate this vegetable first time in Germany. In germany we get mainly white spargel. May and June are the months of fresh Spargel. this is the main season. We get spargel whole year in super market as deep freezed or in a glass but fresh spargel is something different...no comparison with anything from the deeep freeze....In these 2 months there are numerous roadside stands selling spargel , also the weekly markets, super markets ....everywhere selling fresh spargel and people are buying as much as possible :) All resturants have special spargel menu.. Its amezing time.
These 2 months we have most of the time different spargel recipes at home. And one very important event since last 3 years..... spargel Buffet in Hotel Crown Plaza in Heidelberg. We go there since last 3 years... A big buffet with many different testy spargel food items. yummy.......
I still remember my first spargel cooking...:) I saw it in the saturday market and bought it. I was not knowing that I have to pill it before cooking. So I cooked it as it is and then it was hard time to eat that :) But now I am very clever....and buy only pilled spargel....The most boaring job in spargel cooking is pilling it. And another very difficult job is to take out the finished spargel from the fields. Luckily I don't have to do that job...its farmer's job :)
In spargel season , I normally go on my cycle to spargel fields in the nearby villages and buy it. Then cooking it and eating with nice Hollandaise sauce, and extra crispy potatoes.....wow I am already smelling it :)
One of the simplest and testy recipe of spargel which i make is that boil the spargel, roll it in ham , top it with some cheese and bake it till the cheese melts..... wow...I am hungry now :)
I live in a area which is very famous for good quality of spargel and I am really happy to live here. Now I am waiting for the first spargel road side stand to open....few more days to go and then yummy yummy spargel in my tummy :)

2 comments:

  1. yummy yummy spargel in my tummy... haaaa cute . Me waiting too .

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy yummy spargel in my tummy....haaa cute . Me waiting as well . :)

    ReplyDelete