Christmas is in the air
I've been obsessed with Christmas ever since I was a kid. Back then, I’d flip through storybooks and stare at pictures of Santa, sparkling trees piled high with presents, snowy scenes, and tables loaded with cakes and cookies. I was totally captivated and always dreamed of celebrating it for real.
Fast forward to December 2000: a friend and I were hanging out at a mall near Westend Cinema in Pune. The place was decked out for the holidays, packed with beautifully wrapped gifts, and the vibe was just amazing. As we sat there sipping coffee, I turned to my friend and said, "Wouldn't it be incredible to celebrate Christmas in a place where they really go all out—like somewhere in Europe or the US?"
Well, Santa must have been listening! Just a year later, my friend got married and moved to the US, while I landed a job in Germany. Talk about a wish granted!
By 2001, I was finally experiencing a real European winter, complete with snow and holiday cheer. But something was still missing; it didn't quite feel complete without a family to share it with.
That's when I discovered German Christmas markets. Starting four weeks before Christmas, every city and town turns into a winter wonderland. It became a yearly tradition for my husband and me to wander through the stalls, soaking in the festive atmosphere. My absolute non-negotiables? A mug of piping hot Glühwein (spiced mulled wine), Schupfnudeln, roasted chestnuts, and warm waffles.
Then came Christmas 2004—my first time celebrating with my German family (my husband's family!). For the first time in my life, there was actually a gift waiting for me under the tree.
In our family, Christmas is a two-and-a-half-day marathon of family, tradition, and incredible food. Even though my in-laws aren't particularly religious, we stick to the local Catholic tradition of having fish on Christmas Eve. My mother-in-law cooks up the most delicious fish dinner served with veggies and salad. Afterward, relatives gather to chat, drink wine, and munch on my mother-in-law's homemade cookies and holiday breads. Her decorated tree is always a masterpiece. We place all our presents underneath, and the late-night gift unwrapping is easily the highlight of the evening.
The next two days are pretty much spent gathered at my in-laws' place—eating, drinking, and chatting till late into the night. My mother-in-law and her sister whip up lavish holiday lunches featuring special meats you don't eat every day, like venison or rabbit, served alongside soup, salad, Spätzle, rich sauces, and Knödel (dumplings). While they make both bread and potato Knödel, my father-in-law’s potato ones are hands-down my favorite. Great wine, beer, and a few festive shots make the meal even better.
After a feast like that, a long walk in the forest behind the house is practically mandatory to digest. Freezing cold from the walk, we come back home to hot coffee and more Christmas sweets. Dinners are kept light—usually a spread of breads, cheeses, salads, and ham-wrapped asparagus.
When the holidays wrap up, everyone heads home with the exact same promise: "Time to start a diet!" (Spoiler: it never happens).
It turned out to be the exact cozy Christmas I used to stare at in picture books. The only difference? As a kid, the snow was the coolest part. Now, after living here for over a decade, I honestly kind of hate it! That said, a Christmas without snow just doesn't feel right. My ideal setup? Fresh snow just for Christmas Day, followed immediately by warm, sunny weather.
Maybe Santa is listening to this wish, too! Until then, Merry Christmas and happy holidays—may your season be white, cozy, and full of great food and presents!

Comments
Post a Comment