Spargel (asparagus)
Last week, I rode past the local fields and saw farmers hard at work, and it suddenly hit me—Spargel season is right around the corner! Fresh white asparagus drenched in rich Hollandaise sauce... wow, my mouth is already watering.
Before moving to Germany, I had never even heard of asparagus, but now it’s easily one of my favorite vegetables. Back home, it wasn’t a thing, but here, Spargel—especially the white variety—is absolute king. While you can find frozen or jarred asparagus in supermarkets year-round, nothing beats the fresh stuff.
May and June are the peak months when the country goes completely asparagus-crazy. Roadside huts pop up everywhere, market stalls spill over with fresh stalks, and practically every restaurant rolls out a dedicated Spargel menu. People buy it in huge bundles, and the atmosphere is just amazing.
At our house, these two months mean testing out all kinds of asparagus recipes. For the past three years, we’ve also made a point to visit the Spargel buffet at the Crowne Plaza in Heidelberg—it’s an epic spread with every variation you can imagine!
I still laugh thinking back to the first time I tried cooking it myself. I picked up a bundle at a Saturday market, had no clue you were supposed to peel white asparagus, and cooked it whole. Eating it was a tough, stringy workout! Lesson learned: peeling is the most tedious part of the prep, so now I gladly buy the pre-peeled ones. (I also have huge respect for the farmers—harvesting those stalks from the cold dirt looks like brutal work!)
Living in an area famous for top-tier Spargel is definitely a perk. During peak season, I love jumping on my bike, riding out to nearby village farms to pick up a fresh batch, and bringing it home to serve alongside crispy potatoes and Hollandaise.
If you want a super quick and delicious recipe, try this:
Step 1: Boil the peeled white asparagus until tender.
Step 2: Wrap a few stalks in slices of savory ham.
Step 3: Top with a generous handful of cheese.
Step 4: Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Now I'm just counting down the days until the roadside stands open up shop!
yummy yummy spargel in my tummy... haaaa cute . Me waiting too .
ReplyDeleteyummy yummy spargel in my tummy....haaa cute . Me waiting as well . :)
ReplyDelete