Wandern(Hiking) How I Fell in Love with Hiking in Germany

Growing up in Pune, walking was definitely not my thing. Until I was around 23, I barely walked anywhere—it was always an auto-rickshaw, my trusty scooty, or a car. Walking just for the fun of it? Absolutely not!
That all changed when I moved to Germany. Without a local driving license, a car, or the budget for pricey taxis, I was left with just one option: walk, walk, and walk some more. 🙂
One day at the gym, I spotted a poster for an event called "Wandern on May 1st." I had never heard the word Wandern before, but a friend explained that hiking on May Day—a public holiday here—is a huge German tradition. The weather in May is usually gorgeous, so the idea of spending the day outdoors surrounded by nature instantly clicked with me.
I signed up for the gym’s 15 km hike, and it ended up being an absolute blast! Around 40 of us trekked through lush forests and bright green fields under clear blue skies, stopping mid-afternoon at a cozy forest cafe for coffee and cake. I was hooked, and it became my favorite yearly tradition.
My love for hiking really skyrocketed after I got married. My husband is a massive sports fanatic—whether it’s cycling, snowboarding, or hiking, he’s always down for an adventure. We picked up a regional trail map and started hiking almost every Sunday through spring and summer.
Before I knew it, crushing 20 km over 7 or 8 hours felt totally natural. We’d gear up every Sunday morning with filled backpacks, sturdy boots, and my trusty hiking sticks for steep climbs. Exploring mountains, dense woods, and open trails gave me a incredible feeling of energy and relaxation.
What I love most about German hiking culture is how accessible it is for all ages. It’s so inspiring to see people in their 70s and 80s out on the trails. My husband’s grandmother is over 80 and still goes for 7 km walks and regular swims! Her mindset is proof that staying active keeps you young.
Plenty of people here even do multi-day treks, staying overnight in simple mountain huts (Hütten). They’re basic—usually dormitory beds and a hearty breakfast—but offer just what you need after a long day. I haven't tackled a multi-day trip yet, but it's definitely on my radar.
Highlight Trail: Ischgl, Austria
The Experience: A stunning 3-day trek through the Austrian Alps.
The Vibe: High-altitude terrain with rapidly shifting weather, from bright sun to thick, dramatic fog where you could barely see 50 meters ahead.
The Verdict: Easily my favorite hiking memory so far—the views were out of this world!
Now that spring is rolling around again, it’s almost time to dust off the boots and hit the trails. Looking back, I still can't believe the kid who hated walking turned into someone who genuinely lives for hiking!
My "Wandern" ends where my car stops ;)
ReplyDeleteAbhijit....as a native punekar this is normal....I was the same :)
ReplyDelete