Monday, October 3, 2022

#31 blog post challange for OCT.2022 #day3

           Pandemic Travel PCR Test Fun (Part2)


During the pandemic, I had several interesting and amusing encounters with PCR tests and their timings. I can't even count how many times I took these tests or how much I paid for them. One such memorable experience occurred during my trip to Jordan in January 2022.

I had a fantastic trip in Jordan from December 25th, 2021, until January 6th, 2022. Finally, it was time to fly back to Germany. On January 5th, I took my test at 10:30 in the morning, and my flight was scheduled for the night of January 6th, technically making it January 7th. I thought it would be fine since the test couldn't be older than 72 hours.

I arrived at the Amman airport well in advance, but during check-in, the staff asked for my vaccine pass, which I didn't have. I informed them that as a German national, I was allowed to travel with a negative PCR test instead of a vaccine certificate. I even showed them the official website information to support my claim. Eventually, they accepted this, but when they examined my test certificate, they said it wasn't valid because the 48-hour limit would exceed by the time I reached Frankfurt. I argued that the rule stated a 72-hour limit, but they insisted it had just changed.

Feeling frustrated, I escalated the situation to the manager. They informed me that they would contact the German consulate for guidance. My passport details were sent to the consulate, and I had to wait anxiously. The time for my flight was approaching rapidly, and I feared I would miss it and have to book another one. However, around 11:40, the manager informed me that I had to take another test before I could proceed. Luckily, the test center at Amman airport was open 24 hours, so I hurried outside and paid 80 euros, even though the regular price in Jordan was only 30 euros. At that point, I was in a rush and desperate, so the cost didn't bother me much. The next hurdle came when the test center staff couldn't guarantee that I would receive the result within an hour. I panicked and explained that my flight was in 40 minutes, but I had no choice but to accept their response. At that moment, I almost lost hope of making it onto the flight.

After taking the test, I returned to the check-in counter and shared my concerns with the manager, explaining what the test center staff had told me. To my surprise, the manager remained calm and assured me, saying, "Don't worry, you'll get the result on time. I'm sure of it." I began to wonder if all this was just a ploy to extract money for the test. Miraculously, I received my negative test result within 15 minutes, and I was able to check-in immediately. I boarded the flight to Doha as the last person, rushing through passport control and security. Finally, I made it back to Frankfurt from Doha.

One positive aspect I noticed in Jordan was that whenever we needed a PCR test, a person would come to our hotel to conduct the test, which cost only 30 euros, and the results would be sent via WhatsApp within three hours. In contrast, in a so-called first-world country like Germany, PCR tests were much more expensive at almost 80 euros, took more than 24 hours to obtain results, were not available as home or hotel services, and the test centers were not open 24/7 (although I recently saw a test center open at Frankfurt airport during the night). There is some progress happening. Germany is lagging far behind in terms of digitization compared to a country like Jordan, where everything was quick, easy, and digital, with payments made through credit cards. The process was user-friendly and efficient.

Despite the challenges, I thoroughly enjoyed these experiences and am ready for new adventures





 

No comments:

Post a Comment