Sunday, October 9, 2022

#31 blog post challange for OCT.2022 #day9

           My Bharatnatyam Gurus

My very first Bharatnatyam guru is Klara. When I was new in Germany, I came across Klara's Indian dance performances while browsing the internet. I was pleasantly surprised to see a German girl performing Bharatnatyam, so I reached out to her to inquire if she also taught Bharatnatyam. She responded affirmatively, and I went to meet her. She resided in a small village called Tengen, which was approximately a 40-minute drive from my location. I began learning from her, visiting her house every weekend for lessons. Klara, a young and sweet girl, became not only my guru but also my friend. Her mother was equally kind, and their beautiful typical village house created a welcoming atmosphere. I genuinely enjoyed going there. Klara and her mother made me feel at home, and we developed a special bond. Klara even invited me to her New Year's party with her friends, and we occasionally had lunch at her home. However, after two years, she moved to Switzerland for her studies, and I relocated to Heidelberg, making it impossible for us to meet and continue our dance lessons.

Although I was saddened by this turn of events, I soon found a new teacher. Attending a Diwali program organized by the German-Indian Association, I witnessed a Bharatnatyam performance by a group and discovered advertisements for dance classes. I was elated and immediately joined Alexandra's dance school. I have been learning from her since 2007 and will continue to do so for as long as I can.

Originally from Poland, Alexandra traveled to India in the 1980s to learn Bharatnatyam from Kalakeshtra. After completing her arangetram, she relocated to Germany, where she has been teaching Bharatnatyam for nearly 35 years. Learning in her class is a truly an enriching experience. We discuss various topics related to Indian mythology during our sessions, and Alexandra shares her experiences as a foreign student in India, particularly in Delhi during the 1980s. We often talk about her own teachers in India. This one hour spent in class each week is the highlight of my week. Alexandra always encourages us to enjoy the dance rather than focusing solely on technique, as she believes that when we experience joy, the audience does too. I vividly remember the moments when she introduces a new dance and the music starts playing. I would often worry about the speed, thinking, "Oh no, it's too fast! I can't keep up." But Alexandra would reassure me, saying, "Anagha, don't worry about the speed. First, learn the mudras and choreography, and then you can think about the speed. Once you have mastered all the movements in your mind, the speed will come naturally." And without fail, as we near the completion of the dance, I find myself able to dance at that speed. Alexandra is not just a teacher to us; she is also a friend and sometimes even a mother figure. She takes care of all her students as if they were her family. Every year, we have a dance class gathering, where we perform for our friends and family, and all the dancers bring food for the audience. Alexandra also organizes annual dance workshops with teachers from India exclusively for us. Additionally, we have a special dinner at her home, featuring Indian cuisine. Her knowledge of India, its culture, and mythology surpasses ours. Meeting her and attending her dance classes makes me feel closer to India, a little bit.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have such wonderful gurus, even in Germany, allowing me to pursue my passion. 

Thank you Klara and Alexandra. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment